Thursday, December 15, 2011

A New Supply

      About a week to ten days ago, I was over at the park digging out the dill from a cold frame.  I noticed a gardener a couple of plots over who was doing some harvesting.  I walked over to offer him some of my greens, but he was there to finish off his half row of various lettuce.  After a conversation of a few minutes, I went from offering him greens, to the opposite where I had the invite to dig up his lettuce, as he was finished for the season.

Neighbor's garden 12/15/11, still some plants in the ground
      So I took him up on his offer, and dug out some of the plants from his row.  The plants from the two empty spaces in the middle were moved over to the cleared space from the dill as that evening was supposed to be a hard frost.  Which it did, but the lettuce survived as evidenced by the picture above.

Awaiting transplanting, 12/15/11
      Here are the plants tucked away in the cold frame, with the exception of the frisee in the bottom left corner.  The plants are not even in the ground, but look fine because the cooler weather is not stressful.  Some of the lettuce plants in the back yard cold frames are getting old, and will be swapped out for some of these more vibrant plants.  Plus I will have extras.  Anyone interested?
      There are still the plants in the ground from the first picture.  And to think that a couple of months ago I was worried about having enough plants for the fall garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment