Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Carving of the Thanksgiving Cabbage

      Bear with me for one more story about the chinese cabbage.  You will be thrilled to know that with Barb and Em taking some home, there is very little evidence left.  But back to the carving...

Thanksgiving morning, 2011

      This beauty was a volunteer from some plants from the spring season.  Those were less than spectacular, and I never had a harvest, though they were pretty to see in bloom.  I really wasn't expecting volunteers for a fall harvest, but there are several, and boy were they champs.  Illustrates the benefits of fall gardening.

Breaking off the outer leaves

      I am after the tender leaves of the "head" of the cabbage.  The outer leaves are kept for stir fry, saute, or a baked casserole.  Those inner leaves are used for dipping in the sour cream dip.  Calories don't count on Thanksgiving, right?

Finally on the table, 11/24/11

Veggie plate

      Fresh from the garden to the veggie plate were radishes, broccoli, green onions, and celery leaves as a garnish.  Garnish nothing, grand son Wesley asked if he could eat it.  And did.
      A good time had by all.  Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Hi George, I love reading your blog and viewing the pictures of your beautiful vegetables. I found you on the map on Blotanical. I also garden in Delaware - especially in Old New Castle.
    I am just getting ready to build my second cold frame! Thanks and have fun with your gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne, thanks for stopping by the blog. Better yet, since you live nearby, why not drop me a note to get some starter veggies for that second cold frame. I still have too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete