Friday, November 2, 2012

Winding Down and Ramping Up

      For many things in the garden, the five plus inches of rain from Hurricane Sandy was the final straw.  Some tomato plants that were hanging in late in the season have wilted from too much water.  The sweet potato tops that survived the frost have now collapsed.  I pulled the zucchini plants shown in the following picture because the fruits have just stopped growing. 

Pulled the zucchini,  November 2nd,  2012
      The squash needed to come out to be able to refurbish that bed for getting the cold frames back in action.  In the back yard garden, I cleaned up a frame that had also had squash plants, to plant some starts that have been waiting in six packs.




      This frame has Four Seasons Lettuce, volunteer Frisee, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, and a few shallot starts that might give me some bulbs in the spring to divide and regrow.  That big empty space in the front beckons to be a seed bed for some new cold weather crops to sprout for later transplanting.  Even as the summer garden needs to be pulled, the winter garden activity is just beginning.

1 comment:

  1. My hubby and I were busy on the weekend transforming one of my raised veggie beds into a cold frame (hopefully I will do a post when we finish off the window portion of the frame). I have all my herbs in this particular raised bed. I am thinking that it is probably too late to start something new (?), but at least I can protect some of the more delicate herbs like sage, which otherwise would perish over the winter.

    ReplyDelete