Monday, May 2, 2011

Robin update

Lou's Pride

      Lou's Robin was the leader over in the park, having four eggs for quite some time.  As a matter of fact, she had five at one time, but Lou saw her fly off with one and drop it in another plot.  Robins are reported to know when cowbirds lay an egg in the robin's nest and then to take some corrective action.  Maybe this was such a case.

My Robin's nest, 4/29/11

      My robin is trying to make up for lost time.  She added a third egg a day after the second egg.  This is a good thing, as Lou is enjoying his reign as Robin king just a little too much.

And then there were four, 5/1/11

      On my visit to the park yesterday, I was happy to find the fourth egg.  So Lou, now we have an even battle going.  He will have the first chicks though, as he has a head start and it only takes two weeks for the eggs to hatch.  And then only another two weeks for the babies to fly off!

Screech, screech, screech, 5/1/11

      Momma robin is none too happy with my visits to the park.  You can see her perched at the gardener's feet just a garden over.  Screeching.  Just wait until the babies hatch.  I read that the parents dive bomb on intruders then.  Oh joy.  And they can have up to three broods a season.  Luckily on a new nest.  Hopefully not in another corner of my compost pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment