Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Leek Scapes

Leek Scapes,  June 6, 2012
      A couple of days ago I read on the net that leeks would be inedible when they sent up their flower shoots.  Bummer, wish I had known that two leeks ago.  Ah, I mean two weeks ago.  This morning the flower shoots looked beautiful in the sun so I took some pictures.  Then looked up on the net as to whether the flower stalks would be called scapes, as in garlic scapes.  Yes indeed.  I was going to make a pun about a picture of the leeks could be a "leek scape" rather than a landscape, but I found something even better!  The scapes themselves are edible, just like garlic scapes.  There are some interesting recipes out there, using the scapes like asparagus, making a pesto, or in a bean hummus.  All sound yummy.  So while I may have lost some leeks, I have gained some scapes.






      And if you leave these seed heads to dry for a bit on the stalk, followed by a couple of weeks in a dry paper bag, you will have hundreds of seeds for next year.
      Here are a couple of interesting links:



The flowers are pretty to look at, and attract beneficial insects.  So next year I will let some leeks go to seed, but be better about a late spring harvest for leek and potato soup for the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Ellen from GeorgiaJune 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

    I really like the pictures of the leeks, have one in the middle of my tomato plants. How long to let the seeds dry on the stalk before putting it in a paper bag? Thanks Ellen ellen@eyeopened.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, the flowers have to set the seed. At first the flowers will open and you will see green centers. Leave the stalk on the plant until you can see that the little black seeds have formed in each small flower. Then you can cut off the large flower head and put it in a bag to further dry the seed. Then you can shake out the seed and store it in a cool dark place. Seed from the allium plants should be used in the first year from what I have read.

      Delete