Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bountiful Bee Balm

      Many plants can be invasive, but some are pretty enough that you don't care.  The bee balm, also known as minarda or bergamot, by the side of the house fits that description, yet right now it is glorious in its red fire crackers.

Bee Balm, June 15th, 2012


Bee Balm, June 16th, 2012



      The red color of the bee balm is a strong lure for hummingbirds.  We have it growing right next to our porch so I often see the hummingbirds from my side of the kitchen table.  One young male in particular will actually perch in the wild cherry near the porch, to use that vantage point to attack and scare away any other hummers that come into his territory.  So although bee balm is a member of the mint family and spreads like wild fire, I know two other spots that will have transplants next year.

Cherry Tree perch for little male hummingbird

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful color. I had a few colors...but my light purple (a wild variety, I think, that I got from a friend) has taken over!

    ReplyDelete