Thursday, July 21, 2011

Home at Last

      Vacations are fun, but so is the return home.  To check on the garden to see what has boomed in a week.  Quite a bit as usual.  So much so, that I hardly know where to start.  A bonus this year was finding a ripe Ox Heart tomato over at the park garden.  Early for me, though other gardeners have tomatoes in abundance.  Still a delight to have the first tomato of the season.

First tomato, 7/16/11

      Also to complete a nice harvest were contributions of zucchini, cucumbers and beans.

Harvest 7/16/11

      In a recent conversation with my brother Tom, he related to me that I have been nicknamed "George of the Jungle" by my fellow park gardeners.  Easy to understand as my gardenus operandi is to let most things go to seed, to encourage volunteers, and to have a much more "naturalized" garden than other folks might tolerate.  In the spirit of things, the park garden has done its best to live up to the jungle title:

What path?  South of compost pile.

Even worse, north side of compost pile

Browned garlic ready to harvest, beds 2 and 3

Overgrown sunflowers, north end

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm visiting:) Ox Heart tomato ~ now that's one I've never heard of before. It's pretty interesting ~ I can certainly see how it's gotten it's name by the picture you provided. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete