Monday, April 25, 2016

Dr. Martin Lima Beans

      A few years ago, some of the gardeners at the park introduced me to Dr. Martins Lima Beans.  The vines grow huge, and although the beans are very large, they are delicious.  The only problem I had was getting the dried beans to sprout.  A lot of the literature suggests to soak the dried beans overnight.  All that did was to result in planting mushy beans in flats that resulted in a rotting mess. With some years of experimentation, I have come upon a simple method.

Dr. Martin starts, April 25, 2016
      Five days ago I filled these four cell packs with soil, and soaked the trays in water.  Poured off the excess water and planted one dried bean per cell.  Actually one FROZEN dried bean per cell, as these beans are from my dried crop from November 2015 that has been stored in the freezer.  Who would think that frozen beans would germinate?  Not only do they germinate, I think I will get all 16 seeds to sprout. How about them beans?

2 comments:

  1. Can I place an order to Romania for Dr. Martin Lima Beans, from your store? where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Here is a link to a seed business that sells the seed. They should know how to ship to Romania. Ten seeds will yield a lot of beans. Hope this helps: http://www.rohrerseeds.com/DR-MARTIN-LIMA-BEANS-10-SEEDS-PKT/item/9952010

      Delete