Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Kale Recycle

      Not one to leave something go to waste, I rescued some kale plants at the park that had been put aside for a trip to the compost pile.  Having survived the winter cold, it would be a shame to discard adult plants that should have some life left in them.

Bucket of Kale Plants,  March 27th, 2013
      It would have been better had I replanted these rescues a week ago when I picked them up and threw them into the bed of the pick up.  At least we have had some rains and flurries in the mean time.  I trimmed off dead leaves and long roots.

Ready for transplanting

      Here are the plants newly tucked into a bed in the back garden.  I hope and expect that they will be recovered and putting out new leaves within two weeks time.  Yes, they will shortly want to bolt and go to seed.  In the meantime, I hope to get two to three pickings basically for just the time of the transplant.  I will still start new kale from seed, but why waste perfectly great early greens?

No comments:

Post a Comment