Monday, August 15, 2011

Bothersome Birdies

      I hate going out to the garden to pick a tomato that has been ripening for days only to find a hole in the side where a bird pecked it.  It does not seem possible to let tomatoes fully ripen on the vine without some critter getting to them first.

Back yard garden, 8-14-11

Two on this vine pierced

      Now I have been known to pick a particularly craved tomato from the vine to eat the good side away from the damage, but I would not leave the tomato for a long time for fear of some bacteria growing in the punctured tomato.  So the result is having to pick the tomatoes days before ripeness and let them sit in the porch to finish ripening.  Not the best method.

Bagged Brandywine Tomato

      So, if you could cover the tomatoes so the birds can't see them, will they continue to ripen on the vine?  Grabbed a plastic bag that was sitting out back, and covered a Brandywine just as it was beginning to blush pink.  I was afraid the tomato might cook in the bag, but all seemed fine.  Days later, the unveiling.

Yes, a beautiful unblemished Brandywine!!!

      I had thought about using small paper lunch bags, though the pouring rain of the last few days would have done in the bags.  And I would avoid clear plastic bags, as the birds could still see the tomatoes and would probably peck right through the plastic.  So now a new way to recycle plastic bags.

Brandywine added to the rest of the haul

1 comment:

  1. Upon seeing your first picture, I was wondering where all of the tomatoes where. The second picture shows that you have quite the abundance! Yummy on the tomato soup. I've begun freezing. Maybe I'll try a dairy free version to see if it is just as scrumptious.

    Em

    ReplyDelete